Although moisturizing alone cannot significantly reduce the sign of aging, it is still a important component of any skin care regime...especially if you live in a dry climate or exercise regularly. Lack of water can interfere with proper cell metabolism and tissue repair. Dry skin has a diminished capacity to heal and renew itself and is more susceptible to skin infections and irritants. Well moisturized skin will help slow down aging and increase the effectiveness of other treatments.
Moisturizing "DO NOT" list
- Do not wash your face with regular soap, shampoos or other general-purpose detergents - These soaps strip the skin of the acid mantle, an oil-rich protective film that locks in moisture inside the skin and prevents bacterial and other infections. Also, skin washing should be limited to twice a day and only once for dry skin. It's best to use specialized soaps and cleansers that lack detergents and include moisturizing agents.
- Unless you have very oily skin, do not use alcohol-based astringents, wipes and colognes. Again use of these products can strip the skin's acid mantle.
- Do not expose your skin to excess sun, wind, electric fans and especially blow dryers.
- Do not drink too much alcohol or caffeine as both promote the loss of water from your body.
- Do not heat your living quarters more than you need to as this promotes evaporation for moisture from the skin surface.
- Use a long-lasting moisturizer. Most moisturizing action last less than 2 hours. Look for moisturizers that contain hyaluronic acid which is water-holding biopolymer found naturally in the skin and other tissues.
- Consider using a humidifier if your home is dry or you live in a dry climate.
- Drink lots of fluids but not late at night. Drinking fluids late at night can increase morning puffiness and stretch the delicate tissues, especially around the eyes.
- If you are a woman over 40 and are experience more skin dryness, you may be experiencing the changing levels of estrogen. A topical estrogen or phytoestrogen cream may help improve skin dryness as well as overall skin condition (always consult a physician first).
- Meticulously moisturize after skin exfoliation treatment.